Smoky Chipotle and Chili Hand Pies
Makes 10 Large Hand Pies or 20 Appetizer Sized Pies
2 Tubes of Original Pillsbury Biscuit Dough, 10 Biscuits in a Tube
2 – 3 Cups Family Chili (see recipe), cold
Chipotle Lime Cream Cheese (see recipe)
1 Egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
Directions For Hand Pies
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F and prepare a baking sheet with a light coating of cooking spray or vegetable oil, if you prefer not to use those, a piece of parchment paper works great too.
- Open the tube of biscuit dough and flatten each biscuit into 4” – 5” discs.
- Assemble the pies by taking one disc of dough and spreading it with about 2 teaspoons of Chipotle Lime Cream Cheese. Next, top the cheese with 1 – 2 Tablespoons of chili and then cover the mound of chili with a second disc of dough. Crimp the edges or the dough together, creating a seal so that the chili and cheese won’t ooze out in the baking process, finish the sealing process by detailing the edges with the tines of a fork. Next, puncture the top of the pie with a few slats so that steam releases while baking. Repeat this process with the remaining biscuits, chili and cheese. Placing them on your prepared baking sheet as you go.
- Next brush all of the pies with egg wash so that they will glisten once out of the oven, and place the baking sheet into the center of your pre-heated oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking process so that they all brown evenly. Don’t be surprised when you see that these puff up quite a lot, so it is important to seal to two pieces of dough together so that they don’t separate in the baking process.
- Remove the pies from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
If you don’t want your pies to be too spicy you can substitute Shredded Cheddar or a Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend for the Chipotle Cream Cheese.
If you want to make this as an appetizer you can do so by simply making the pies out of one dough disc and folding into a half moon rather than creating round pie.
Chipotle Cream Cheese Recipe
1 Cup Cream Cheese, softened
3 Tbsp. Sour Cream
2 Chipotles, from a can
1 Tbsp. Adobo Sauce
Zest from 1 Lime
In a food processor combine all of the ingredients and process together until smooth. Spoon into a container and refrigerate for about 2 hours, or overnight. The flavors really come together once they have a chance to combine for a bit. While this is used in the Smoky Chipotle Hand Pie Recipe, it can be used as a spread on sandwiches, bagels, or many other applications where you might use cream cheese.