Dark Chocolate and Ouzo Fondue
6 oz. Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, or Coarsely Chopped Chocolate Squares
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Ouzo, or any other anise flavored liquor or flavoring
2 tsp. Fresh Orange Zest
1/8 tsp. Salt
- Using a medium sized saucepan, or the bottom portion of a double boiler, bring about 2 cups of water to a light simmer
- In a heat-resistant metal or glass bowl that fits nicely on top of the saucepan, combine the chocolate, heavy whipping cream and brown sugar.
- Place the bowl on top of the simmering water and allow the chocolate, cream and sugar to smoothly combine. Stirring throughout with a rubber spatula.
- When the chocolate mixture has become silky smooth, remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the Ouzo, Orange Zest and Salt.
- Once all of the ingredients have been combined you can at this point pour the chocolate into a chocolate fondue pot and set over a flame, making sure that the flame is set at about medium heat. If you don’t have this special vessel it is NO BIG DEAL!!! Pour the chocolate in a pretty bowl that is microwave safe. Set the chocolate out and if it begins to stiffen, simply throw it in the microwave for a few moments to loosen it up again!
NOTE: You can make fondue a sauce a few days in advance and reheat it in the microwave. The Fondue heats up marvelously. If you have the ability to turn your microwave down to a medium temp, that is great. It will take about 3 – 4 minutes depending on your microwave. You will want to stir the chocolate sauce every 30 seconds or so, to ensure that it stays silky smooth!