Will Make About 3 Dozen Small Triangles
Ingredients for Filling
3 Large Eggplant
1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Green Onion, Finely Chopped
1/3 Cup White Onion, Grated
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/4 Cup Fresh Mint, chopped
10 oz. Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
4 Eggs, Beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients for Pastry
1 – 1lb. Box of Frozen Phyllo Dough pastry Thawed In Fridge
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Melted
1 Egg Beated
Direction To Prepare Filling
1) Preheat oven to 400˚F
2) Peel Eggplant with a vegetable peeler, removing the shiny outer shell. Rub the eggplant with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Do this with all three eggplant and place on a baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for about 45 minutes.
3) Remove from oven, loosen the aluminum pouch and allow the eggplant to cool down to room temp
4) Once cool, slice the eggplant in half and remove excess liquid and the bitter seeds.
5) In a large bowl combine the roasted eggplant and the remaining ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
6) At this point you can immediately begin assembling your triangles, you can refrigerate it for a few days, or you can freeze for up to 2 months. If you freeze it, allow a whole day for it to thaw before proceeding with assembly.
Preparing The Triangles
7) Preheat oven to 350˚F
8) Prepare your cookie sheet by brushing it with butter.
9) begin your work with the phyllo dough by removing the rolled up tube of phyllo sheets from the box and take it out of the plastic sealed bag that it is in.
10) Using a sharp knife score the phyllo dough roll all the way across, scoring it every 2″. Following the marks that you just made, cut all the way through the rolled up tube of dough.
11) Working with 1 chunk of dough at a time, unroll the first section and remove the top two sheets of dough, keeping them together. Place them on your work surface and brush liberally with butter, working in 1 swift motion from top to bottom. Do not brush back and forth with the butter, it will make your phyllo tear.
12) Place about 2 Tsp. of the filling at the bottom of each strip. Fold the portion with the filling to the left (or right) so you form a triangle. Then fold the piece upward, and then fold in the opposite direction of your first fold (right or left). Continue to do this until you’ve used up the entire strip of phyllo.
13) Place your completed triangle, seam side down, onto your greased baking sheet and brush the top one last time for good measure.
14) Follow steps 11 thru 13 until all the mixture has been used up.
15) Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until slightly puffed and golden brown.
16) Remove from the oven and serve right away!
Side Note…You can also make the triangles in advance. The can keep in the fridge up to 2 days uncooked, or in the freezer for as long as two months.