Serves 6 – 8 Guests As A Group Appetizer
*Take note of the tips in the recipe. I have offered you a few suggestions to simplify a few of the steps!*
Ingredients For Nachos
2 – 8 oz. Bags of Plain Pita Chips, like Stacy’s Brand (16oz. Total)
1 Lb. 1000 Hills Ground Beef
½ Large Yellow Onion, Diced
3 Tsp. Dry Oregano
1 1/2 Cups Spicy Red Pepper and White Bean Dip (Recipe Below, Store Bought Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is ok too!)
1 1/2 Cups Crumbled Feta Cheese
1 Cup Fresh Tomatoes, Diced
1 Cup Fresh Cucumber, Diced
1/2 Cup Red Onion, Finely Diced
¼ Cup Green Pepper, Diced
1/3 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives, Diced
½ Cup Yogurt and Herb Crema (Recipe Below, Store Bought Tzatziki Would Work Here Too)
Salt & Pepper
· Preheat Oven to 350˚F
· Using a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil over medium heat. Swirl it around the pan to coat the whole surface.
· Add the onion, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sautee until they begin to look translucent, about 2 minutes
· Add the ground beef, and mash it into chunks with a potato masher and mix into the onions, browning the meat as you go.
· After about 3 minutes add the garlic, followed by 2 Teaspoons of Dried Oregano and mix it all into together until fully incorporated and all of the meat is completely cooked through. All together this should take about 5 or 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
· Assemble the nachos! Using a large oven safe platter – or cookie sheet – begin! Spread a large layer of chips on the bottom of your serving platter, dollop generously with spoonfuls of the roasted red pepper and bean dip, cover with a layer of cooked ground beef, sprinkle generously with feta cheese crumbles. Repeat this process with as many layers of chips, dip, meat an d feta that you like until the chips are all used up. Finish the final layer with a layer of meat and feta on top. Place the full platter into the oven and heat until the outer chips are crispy and the bean dip and feta are warm (the feta won’t melt!), this will take 5 – 10 minutes.
· While the nachos are in the oven prepare greek salad relish. In a medium bowl combine Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Red Onion, Green Pepper and Kalamata Olives . Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with Olive Oil.
· Remove the nachos from the oven. Sprinkle the top of the nachos with 1/2 Tsp. of Dried Oregano, sprinkle the Greek Salad Relish over the top of the nachos, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 Tsp of Dried Oregano and a Drizzle the whole thing with Yogurt and Herb Crema!
· Serve them family style with extra Spicy Red Pepper Dip and Yogurt Sauce of the sid!
Spicy Red Pepper and White Bean Dip
Makes About 3 Cups
2 – 15.5 oz. Cans White Beans, Drained (31 oz. Total) Add all of the ingredients into the bowl of your
8.5 oz. Roasted Red Peppers from a Jar, Drained food processor, set up with the regular
3 Large Garlic Cloves Blade.
1 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice Cover and puree for 1 – 2 minutes until very
1/2 Cup Olive Oil smooth. This can be made up to 2 days in
1/2 Tsp. Salt advance. Store in refrigerator
Add all of the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor, set up with the regular blade. Cover and puree for 1 – 2 minutes until very smooth. This can be made up to 2 days in advance. Store in refrigerator.
*Too make this dollop easier you can put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds with a splash of water if need be. It is easier to spread on the chips if it is slightly thinned out.
Yogurt and Herb Crema
Makes About 2 Cups
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
3/4 Cup Fresh Mint, Picked off of the Stems and Loosely Packed
3/4 Cup Fresh Dill, Picked off of the Stems and Loosely Packed
¼ Cup Olive Oil
1/2 – 1 Full Tsp. Sugar (taste it)
1/8 Tsp. Salt
Add all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Cover and blend together until slightly liquidy and smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This can be made up to two days in advance.
*If you use ready made tzatziki pour it into a blender and add a splash of milk or cream and blend it so that it can easily be drizzled.*