Gyrrito – Gyros Style Burrito
Makes 4 Large Burritos or about 8 Small Soft Shell Tacos
This Burrito combines all of the delicious flavors of a restaurant Gyros along with a couple of fun twists, like putting French Fries in your sandwich! This modern day Greek trick takes any Gyros Sandwich to the next level! Trust me, you will wonder why you didn’t put Fries in there sooner!
Ingredients for the Gyrrito Meat
1 ¼ lbs. Ground Beef, Lamb or Turkey
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Dried Oregano
2 tsp. Marjoram
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 ¼ tsp. Dried Thyme
1 ½ tsp. Minced Dried Onion
1 ½ tsp. Ground Corriander
1 tsp. Sweet Paprika
¼ tsp. Cayenne
5 Garlic Cloves
½ cup Beef Broth
½ cup Water
1 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
Ingredients to Build the Sandwich
2 Tomatoes , sliced into half moons
1 Small White Onion, sliced into half moons
1 – 2 cups Tzatziki (see recipe below)
1½ cups Crumbled Feta Cheese
4 Extra Large Burrito Shells; or 8 Soft Flour Tortillas
Gyrrito Meat, 1 Full Recipe
2 cups Seasoned French Fries (see recipe below)
Make The Meat
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. In a large skillet heat the Olive Oil over medium-high heat. When it is glistening, add the ground meat. Break up the meat with a potato masher, breaking it into crumbles. Using a microplane, grate the Garlic into the browning meat, stirring for 2 minutes so that it combines nicely.
3. Add the already mixed dry ingredients to the meat and stir together for a minute. When the meat is cooked through and you don’t see any more pink, add the Broth, Water and Vinegar. Bring it all to a boil for one minute, then turn down to a simmer. Squeeze in the juice of one Lemon directly into the meat and simmer, allowing all of the liquid to reduce down. After five minutes remove the mixture from the heat and set aside until you are ready to build your Burrito or Tacos.
Put It All Together!
1. Place Tortilla on a flat surface. Into the Tortilla spoon 2-3 tbsp. of Tzatziki Sauce, followed by 1/3 cup of Gyrrito Meat. Top with Tomatoes, Onions, Feta and a hand full of Seasoned Fries.
2. Fold the bottom of the Tortilla up to the center of the shell and then fold in the left and right sides of the shell. Next, quickly roll the Tortilla, from the bottom up towards the top. Sealing all the ingredients into the Tortilla Shell.
3. You can then wrap the Burrito in parchment paper or aluminum foil for easier eating!
Seasoned French Fries
16 oz. Frozen French Fries, original cut (about 1/2 a bag)
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper
1 tbsp Sweet Paprika
Directions for French Fries
1. Preheat Oven to 450˚F; heat baking sheet in the oven while it is preheating
2. Scatter the Fries onto the heated sheet and drizzle with Olive Oil. Bake for 10 – 20 minutes depending on your oven, flipping them once or twice so that they get crisp on all sides.
3. Mix the dried seasonings in a bowl.
4. Remove the Fries from the oven, place in large mixing bowl and toss with dried seasoning mixture.
Note: I recommend baking the whole bag of Fries. Simply double the seasoning blend and serve them alongside your Gyritto!
Recipes and Directions For The Extra Components To The Gyrrito
Yields Approximately 2 Cups
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Medium English Cucumber, grated
¼ cup Fresh Dill, coarsely chopped.
4 – 5 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 tsp. White Pepper
Salt to Taste
1. Using a box grater or the grating blade of a food processor, grate the Cucumber, with it’s skin on.
Using your hands, squeeze all the liquid out of the grated Cucumber and discard the liquid.
2. In a medium bowl combine: Yogurt, Cucumber, Dill, Garlic, Vinegar, Olive Oil and White Pepper. Whisk
together until nicely combined.
3. Add Salt to taste and then refrigerate for at least an hour. Allowing the flavors to combine.
Tips For The Gyritto
For an easier time rolling your Tortilla Shells, wrap them in aluminum foil and heat them in the oven at 350˚F for 5 minutes or so. This will soften them up. Keep them wrapped until you are ready to roll!
Make a large batch of the Gyrrito Meat Spice Blend to have on hand. With the spices ready to go, this sandwich comes together super fast!
It is fun to make this as a Burrito, but you can definitely use a classic Pita Round or a Pocket Pita if you prefer!