Week Night Pumpkin Curry
Tired of turning Thanksgiving leftovers into Turkey Tetrazzini! Use up extra cans of Pumpkin and leftover Turkey with this soul-warming Thai Style Curry.
1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
3 tbsp. Red Curry Paste
1 tbsp. Ginger, minced
1 tbsp. Garlic, minced
2 Fresno Chili Peppers, sliced into circles
1- 15oz Can Pumpkin Puree
1 – 15oz. Can Coconut Milk
2 tsp. Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Fish Sauce*
½ cup Water
2 Small Zucchini, Cut into 1/4″ Dice
4 cups of Cooked Turkey or Chicken, diced*
Put It All Together
1. Heat a large wide rimmed sauté pan over medium heat. After a minute, add the Coconut Oil. When it has melted, swirl it around to completely coat the pan, add the Curry Paste, Ginger, Garlic and Thai Chile Peppers. Stir for one minute, releasing all of the natural oils.
2. In a bowl, mix together the Pumpkin Puree, Coconut Milk, Brown Sugar, Fish Sauce and Water. When combined add it to the sauté pan. Turn heat up and bring it all to a boil. Next add the Meat and the Zucchini, returning the Curry to a boil. Leave it at a boil for one minute. Turn the heat down to medium, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, lifting the cover occasionally to stir, making sure that the Curry isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Generously spoon the Curry over a bed of Coconut-Lime Couscous (see recipe below). Serve with garnishes of Cilantro, Chopped Cashews and Lime Wedges, allowing everyone to garnish their own!
1 cup Water
1/8 tsp. Salt
Drizzle of Olive Oil
2/3 cup Dry Couscous
Zest from 1 Lime
Juice from ½ a Lime
3 tbsp. Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1. In a small pot with a tight fitting lid, bring Water, Salt, Olive Oil, Lime Zest and Lime Juice to a boil.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the Couscous. Stir the Couscous and boiling liquid a couple of times and cover the pot.
3. After 5 minutes, uncover the pot and fluff the Couscous with a fork. Stir in the Coconut Flakes, and it’s ready!
Tips For The Pumpkin Curry
If you don’t have Fish Sauce try Soy Sauce or Salt. If doing this start with 1 tsp. and then taste. Add more as you see fit
This is a GREAT recipe to use up leftover Chicken or Turkey, or use a store bought Rotisserie Chicken, it’s a great time saver! You can make it vegan by adding Tofu, or more veggies like Cauliflower and Squash.